Company - History

History

History

Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo is a place of extreme beauty in the heart of Douro valley and owned by Amorim family since 1999.
The family connection to the wine comes from afar, through its connection with the export houses of Vila Nova de Gaia in the cork business. Meanwhile the dream came true and the project is now in the hands of the 4th generation of the family.
With a story longer than 250 years, the property displays conserved structures and the cellar original building from 1764, after interventions by the architect Arnaldo Barbosa.
But the «quinta» is much earlier than this and history confirms it as a great land belonging to the Portuguese Royal House, having been identified its first owner in 1725.
The winery produced more than 3,500 barrels of wine from neighboring estates and it was soon 'integrated in the first demarcation of the region'. The historic sites that are still preserved give notice to this historic weight.
An entrepreneur spirit and family vision did however the difference because, combined with a passionate commitment to the future, determined the beginning of multiple changes to a path of oenological excellence.